When you are trying to get to sleep, everyone tends to favor a certain position. One of the most common sleeping positions is to sleep on your side. With any sleeping position, it is important to keep your neck and spine in proper alignment. Here are a few tips to make side sleeping a little easier and more beneficial for your body.
- Use a pillow between your knees. Your hips are wider than your knees, so a pillow here ensures proper alignment of the spine.
- Use a pillow thick enough to fill the space between the head and shoulder tip. You can achieve proper alignment with a pillow to fill this gap. Without this you might wake up with a kink in your neck or strained neck muscles.
- Rest your upper arm on a cushion like a body pillow. The upper arm needs support, otherwise gravity will pull on the shoulder or tug on the sensitive nerves in your neck.
- Try a small towel or small pillow at your waist. Since our hips are wider than our waist (usually), it creates a gap, and gravity fills the gap by misaligning our spine.
- Do not sleep on your side with a thin, flat pillow supporting your head. The neck will bend in order for the head to rest on the pillow. Make sure your pillow is thick enough to take up the distance between the neck and the shoulders while maintaining alignment between your neck and spine.
Now that we have established some ways to make side sleeping better for your body, we have compiled a list of our top 3 mattresses for side sleepers.
STEARNS & FOSTER LUX ESTATE HYBRID MARY LEIGH LUXURY PLUSH MATTRESS
Stearns & Foster mattresses are known for their outstanding quality. The Stearns & Foster Lux Estate Hybrid Mary Leigh Luxury Plush Mattress features Advanced Adapt Foam has been created by Tempur-Pedic scientists to reduce pressure points while extending the comfort life of your mattress. The foam aides in eliminating tossing and turning, while encouraging deep REM sleep. The advanced adapt foam is paired with their Intellicoil 2.0 innerspring system that is going to give you the support that will help your body stay in the proper alignment.
SEALY OPTIMUM INSPIRATION GOLD MATTRESS
The Sealy Optimum Inspiration Gold Mattress is loaded with cooling gel adaptive foam. This mattress is going to make motion transfer almost non-existent, which is important for couples. 2” OptiCool gel memory foam is infused with OUTLAST that is going to help spread the body heat throughout the mattress, so it doesn’t get warm as the night goes on. The 7” Opticore memory foam and 3” of Optisense memory foam will create the support that your body will need for proper alignment throughout the night.
SEALY POSTUREPEDIC HYBRID SILVER PLUSH MATTRESS
We finish up our list with the Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid Silver Plush Mattress. This is another hybrid mattress that will give your body the benefits of an innerspring and memory foam mattress. The Posturepedic Hybrid Silver Plush has individually wrapped coils underneath the memory foam. Encasing allows each coil to move independently. This targets support and reduces motion transfer. The encased coil system responds to the natural curves and alignment of your spine. The coil system is compiled with reinforced gel memory foam that resides in the center third of the mattress. 20% more coils create exceptional support and durability where you are going to need it most. This is a huge benefit for proper spine alignment.
It is very important to purchase a mattress that is going to help you sleep through the night and make getting to sleep easy. With the mattresses that we have suggested you will be able to rest easy and your body will thank you each and every morning. If you have other questions about any of our mattresses, give us a call 866-328-5352. Our mattress experts are ready and waiting to answer any and all of your questions.